The informant/ complainant should go to the police station having jurisdiction over the area (where the offense is committed) and report to the officer in charge/ station house officer about the commission of a cognizable offense. In case information is given on the telephone, the informant/complainant should subsequently go to the police station for registration of F.I.R.